Our website is supported by our readers. We sometimes earn a commission when you click through the affiliate links on our website at no extra cost to you.
A portable steam sauna like the SaunaBox is one of our favorite ways to relax and detoxify the body. However, have you ever wondered if your portable steam sauna is really as clean as it should be? That’s the #1 question people have regarding steam tents, “How do you keep it clean!?”. Because we agree, mold and mildew buildup is just plain gross.
In this article, we will provide you with an easy guide on how to clean your portable steam sauna effectively.
Steps to Clean Your Portable Steam Sauna
Cleaning your portable steam sauna is crucial to maintaining a hygienic sauna experience. By following a few easy steps, you can ensure that your portable steam sauna remains clean and in good condition for years to come.
Step 1: Wipe up Excess Moisture
After each sauna session, use a cloth or towel to wipe up any excess moisture. This helps prevent the growth of mold and bacteria in your sauna.
Step 2: Remove Towels and Sweat Mat
Always remove all towels, mats, and chairs. Sauna tents usually come with an absorbent sweat mat to soak up any excess moisture. After each use, remove it from the sauna and clean it with either a hose or in the washer.
Step 3: DIY Sauna Cleaner
Mix a DIY sauna cleaner in a spray bottle by combining 1 cup of hot water and ¼ cup of vinegar. Adding a couple of drops of tea tree essential oil is optional. This solution acts as an effective and natural cleaning agent for your steam sauna.
Step 4: Spray and Wipe
Spray the DIY sauna cleaner onto the interior surfaces of your portable steam sauna. Using a washcloth or towel, scrub and wipe the surfaces thoroughly to remove any dirt or residue.
Step 5: Clean the Steam Generator
Pay special attention to the steam generator. Wash the inside of the generator with a cloth and mild dish detergent to remove any buildup. For hard water stains, use white vinegar as a natural cleaning agent.
Step 6: Rinse and Dry
After cleaning, rinse the steam generator and all surfaces of the sauna with clean water. Make sure to dry all the surfaces thoroughly with a clean towel to prevent moisture-related issues.
Step 7: Routine Maintenance
Perform routine maintenance on your portable steam sauna to keep it in optimal condition. Regularly check for leaks, replace worn-out parts, and ensure proper ventilation to maximize its lifespan.
By following these step-by-step cleaning instructions and implementing routine maintenance, you can enjoy your portable steam sauna to the fullest while ensuring a clean and healthy sauna experience every time.
Tips for Sauna Tent Exterior Cleaning and Maintenance
Clearly not as important as the interior, but the outside exterior fabric of a portable steam sauna needs love too. Here are some extra useful tips for cleaning and maintaining your sauna tent:
- Spot clean stains and dirt: Use a clean cloth or sponge dipped in soapy water to gently clean any stains or dirt on the surface of the tent.
- Rinse away soapy residue: After spot cleaning, rinse the tent with a separate cloth dampened in clean water to remove any leftover soap.
- Prevent buildup inside the tent: Wipe down the interior of the sauna tent with a damp cloth after each use to prevent the accumulation of dirt and sweat.
- Clean the fabric lining: If your sauna tent has a fabric lining, mix a mild detergent with warm water and clean the lining using a sponge or cloth.
- Air dry in a well-ventilated area: Hang the sauna tent and accessories in a well-ventilated area to allow them to air dry completely.
- Lubricate zippers for smooth operation: Apply a specialized zipper lubricant to ensure smooth and hassle-free operation of the tent’s zippers.
- Perform routine maintenance checks: Regularly inspect your sauna tent for any signs of damage and promptly repair or replace any damaged parts.
- Store in a dry and well-ventilated area: To prevent mold growth, store your sauna tent in a dry and well-ventilated space when it is not in use.
By following these cleaning and maintenance tips, you can enjoy a clean, hygienic, and long-lasting sauna tent experience.
The authors and editors that comprise the Recovatech Team have 20+ years of combined experience and knowledge covering the topics of strength, fitness, and recovery. We are impassioned in our pursuit of presenting the most up-to-date information on strength training, cardio fitness, physical rehab, functional movement, nutrition, workout recovery, and best-in-class reviews. Should you feel inclined, please reach out to us at admin[at]recovatech.com.