Here are the best foam rollers you can buy:
- Best foam roller overall: Lifepro Surger Vibrating Foam Roller
- Best textured foam roller: TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller
- Best hand-held roller: Roll Recovery R8
- Best affordable foam roller: AmazonBasics Foam Roller
- Best stick foam roller: TriggerPoint STK massage stick
- Best for low back pain: The Chirp Wheel
Best Overall Foam Roller: LifePro Surger
If you’re looking for the absolute best foam roller, then look no further than the LifePro Surger.
Not only does it incorporate a soft yet firm dense foam for comfort, it also has a built in motor making it one of the best vibrating foam rollers around. It’s really a 2-1 punch to kick-start your recovery.
Compact at 11.5 inches long, and 5.5 inch diameter. For your convenience, the fitness roller comes with a drawstring bag making it easy to carry & take along with you for an on the go workout.
The Surger has 4 Vibration frequency levels with a 10,400 mAh battery making it the most powerful vibrating foam roller on the market. Choose between 4 intensities to apply the perfect amount of pressure to each of your sore muscles and joints.
The superior vibrating massage can help relieve muscle pain in your lower and upper back, knees, IT band, quads, hamstrings, and more.
GRID Foam Roller
The GRID® Foam Roller, the original hollow core roller, features a patented multi-density foam surface that delivers firm compression like a sports massage while channeling blood and oxygen needed to repair muscles. The GRID® Foam Roller is the ‘go-to’ roller to release muscle pain and tightness, improve mobility, increase circulation, and is recommended by sports doctors, chiropractors, and physical therapists.
● Three-dimensional surface allows tissue to aerate while you roll, promoting the flow of blood and oxygen—the nutrients
needed to repair muscles
● Proprietary Distrodensity zones replicate the feeling of a massage therapist’s hands
● Hard, hollow core hand-wrapped in EVA foam makes it firmer than traditional foam rollers
● Superior construction won’t break with repeated use
● For beginners to advanced rollers
Roll Recovery R8
While it may not be a “foam roller” in form factor, the Roll Recovery R8 is a game changer when it comes to myofasical release and recovery. With it’s spring loaded dual handles, you’re able to deliver a precise amount of pressure exactly where you need it.
- Applies deep tissue massage force
- Use sitting, standing or laying
- Improves circulation and reduces inflammation
- Breaks up muscle adhesions for myofascial release
- Interchangeable R8-Inserts for customization
- Soft-touch Handle
AmazonBasics Foam Roller
No fancy bells and whistles here, the AmazonBasics foam roller is about as basic as they come, but will absolutely get the job.
While it’s absolutely functional for its intended purpose, some may find it a bit too firm with very little give when you’re rolling over those sore spots.
- High-density blue speckled foam roller with molded edges: Extra firm – best for intermediate and above. High density expanded polypropylene (EPP) that is designed for deeper massage than standard foam roller
- Ideal for balance, strengthening, flexibility, and rehab exercises
- Made from molded polypropylene to maintain firmness
- Lightweight, easy to clean and transport
- Maintains shape after moderate to heavy use and is perfect for all body types
- Roller Dimensions: 36 x 6 x 6 inches (LxWxH)
The GRID STK® Foam Roller, a multi-functional handheld massage tool, can be used seated or standing to roll, release, and relieve minor aches and pains. The AcuGRIP® handles allow user-controlled pressure for a comfortable massage, and can be used to anchor on tight spots for acupressure relief.
● Convenient size is perfect for the gym, office, or on the road
● Patent-pending 3-dimensional surface to replicate the feeling of a massage therapist’s hand
● AcuGRIP® handles provide targeted compression to release knots and tightness
● Sweat-proof and easy-to-clean material
● Backed by a one-year warranty
The Chirp Wheel
Back when we reviewed the Chirp Wheel +, we found it to be super effective when it came to mobilizing the entire spine. With it’s specially designed foam and “Spinal Canal”, you will find the the Chirp Wheel does an incredible job digging in and finding any vertebrae that might be stuck.
● Comes in 3 different sizes which is handy for different body types
● It’s specifically designed for the spine and can help alleviate back pain better than most alternatives
● Comes with a 60 day money back guarantee
Why Use A Foam Roller?
Whether you’re an athletic, weekend warrior, avid runner, or simply have some persistent achy muscles, finding the best foam roller that works for you is a great way to get back to feeling your best.
Foam rollers work using a method called self-myofascial release (SMR), which is basically a fancy method of stating self-massage. You begin to feel muscle knots and tightness when the fascia covering the muscles is limited. A foam roller lengthens the fascia and is basically an affordable way to get a massage where and when you need it most.
After an intense bout of exercise, does self‐myofascial release with a foam roller or roller‐massager enhance post exercise muscle recovery and reduce DOMS?
The research suggests that foam rolling and roller massage after high intensity exercise does attenuate decrements in lower extremity muscle performance and reduces perceived pain in subjects with a post exercise intervention period ranging from 10 to 20 minutes.(1)
Foam rollers have been available in all shapes and sizes, but the ideal size is generally about 6 inches in diameter and around 36 inches in length. This permits you to work most muscle groups and to use the roller in workouts. If you wish to do much deeper muscle work or target knots, textured foam rollers are an excellent solution.
While most rollers work using gravity (e.g., your body lowering on the roller to produce the massaging pressure), there are a number of handheld options that fit quickly in your gym bag, too. There’s plenty of variety to fit a vast array of usage cases and users.
Complimentary therapies to foam rolling: Muscle Stimulator, Infrared Sauna, Vibration, Massage Gun